In this beginner course, develop confidence in capturing likenesses of your favorite people from photos into fully realized paintings. Learn how to paint a family member, BFF, or someone who inspires you, or maybe even a Self Portrait! Students are welcome to bring in their own photos to work from or we can supply you with some inspiration. This class is perfect for beginners to immediate or for anyone who has taken a foundation drawing or painting class before and are interested to move on to more challemnging subject matter.
In our course you will learn:
- How to sketch out our subject in pencil and carefully mark out where the shadows and highlights are in your composition. We always recommend using a good photo with lots of highlights and values that have both light and dark. Your instructor will discuss and demo how to think in terms of shapes, not lines, and block in where the shadows and highlights will go.
- Next, we will move on to painting on canvas, learn how to choose your color palette for tone and mood and different types of brushes for a variety of brushstroke techniques like stippling and smudging to render the softly blended skin tones or capture different textures like hair, skin, lips, eyes, drapery in clothes or reflective surfaces - if your subject is wearing glasses
- Explore how to block in color and use value: dark tones before light ones.
- How to mix your colors instead of using plain colors, add midtones: cooler or warmer tones. When you block this out you will see your portrait start to come to life.
- How to add definition, highlight eyes and character traits, and complete by adding more finer touches to adjust your details.
- How to add backgrounds to showcase your subject.